Wednesday, December 6, 2017

A little Hump Day History..

So I'll explain the background image on my page and it's significance. Alabama's history regarding custom culture and motorcycle circles, as opposed to say California, Jersey, hell even Sweden, Is a lot more thin and harder to trace back. The community and interest was smaller than in other places, and seems the exposure was almost non existent. I mean there were tons of people doing it in the South, but you cannot simply search old Easy Riders or the internet and find evidence of it. I pride myself in my detective work and ability to pick the brains of our older generation in hopes to gain knowledge and share their stories long after they are gone. So, the image is of one of those Alabama custom pioneers. Mr. Raymond Horne. Unfortunately I was a little late in finding out about Ray, as he passed away two summers ago in July I believe, but thankfully I was able to archive a mess of photos sharing his past before they have now long disappeared. Oddly enough, on one of our trips, Duane broke away from the pack abruptly into a gravel lot, we turned shortly after and pulled in to see him two handing his face on the window of this shop. Now that all the data has been processed and researched, but unknowing at the time, this was Raymond's shop. Although instead of sissy bars and peanut tanks on the walls, it was leather touring bags, replacement softail grips, and twin cam sitting in the showroom area. By this time I think Duane had knew about this shop and heard that all his old fab tools and pan / shovel goodies had been sold and the focus was more on apparel. BUT.. Before me or any of my buddies had been born, Ray and his crew had been tearing up the streets and "Doin It" long beofre in the 70's / 80's. So heres some rad stuff from Custom Cycle HD, I will share more later on. RIP Ray
That's Raymond behind the wide glide with the frizzy fro
Ray's 48 Pan with shovel heads and with pan heads
Swingers
Show / Swap in Georgia
Raymond Horne, I by no means own these photos, and if you feel the need to take them for yourself or re post, I ask that you at least mention the man. Thanks Daniel BT

1 comment:

  1. I knew Raymond for many years; met him at my first swapmeet...Marietta, GA. in 1978. Best Harley mechanic I've ever known. God speed.........Bill Mixson Columbia, S.C.

    ReplyDelete